We're looking for an experienced developer who enjoys finding innovative solutions to challenging problems.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Creation of new client work, including static and CMS-driven websites.
- Maintenance of current sites, judiciously building on existing systems, including new feature development and bug fixes.
- Advanced understanding of front-end practices, including browser compatibility issues, CSS usage, coding patterns.
- Ability to review and check your own work and follow through on Q/A and functional testing.
- Familiarity with common CMS products, especially Craft and WordPress.
- Basic understanding of SQL queries and regular expressions.
- Basic understanding of object oriented programming principles.
- Basic understanding of web server configuration.
- Follow Owen development guidelines and best practices.
- Take ownership of whole portions of a project, coordinating this work with the rest of the project team.
- Use sound reasoning and make informed decisions when evaluating features or recommending technology solutions.
- Look at bigger picture of “What are the root problems we are trying to solve?”, when considering feature requests.
- Create project documentation.
- Focus on clear and direct communication when writing to clients and Owen team.
- Communicate technical information in a simple and easily understood manner.
AREAS OF INFLUENCE
- Work with the wider dev team to create innovative and efficient development solutions.
- Help to identify and shape technical best practices and team processes.
- Ongoing thinking about digital innovation and how it relates to what we do at Owen.
- Mentor Junior Developers, providing guidance about development thinking and best practices.
- Provide input to UX and design teams throughout all project phases.
- Assist Technical Director with putting together project estimates and proposals.
- Research and evaluate new technology as needed.
AREAS OF GROWTH
- Ongoing professional development, including keeping up to date with browser capabilities and innovations in the web development world.
- Follow trends in web development and share relevant info with the wider dev team.
- Grow your skills as a developer, communicator, and professional at Owen Jones.
OWEN JONES’ GENERAL EXPECTATIONS
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Optional “Work from Home Fridays”
- Full benefits including medical, dental, and vision
- 401k Matching
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Dog-friendly office
- A positive, balanced work life