User Experience Designer
Owen Jones is seeking a collaborative, curious User Experience Designer who loves digging into the details and creating useful, usable digital experiences.
Salary range: $60,000-75,000
At Owen, our UX team tackles everything from early discovery to uncover our client’s hopes and dreams, digs into any audience insights and behavioral data we can get, recommends the overall experience approach, frames the information architecture, and develops all the wireframes and detailed functionality for the project at hand. We take a very human-centered approach to our work, and focus on creating relevant, useful, and usable interactions.
You have 3-5 of experience working on projects large and small, and you’re motivated by thinking through how people use websites and other digital tools in their lives. You’re able to build out an approach with some guidance, and are excited to fine-tune the interaction design and document all the details for our projects. You want to know if what we make really works for people, and look for opportunities to test and learn along the way. You thrive in a multi-disciplinary environment, and will engage with multiple client accounts and work closely with Owen’s creative, technology, account, and producer teams.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Areas of responsibility:
- Apply strategic direction, business goals, and experience design direction to create usable and useful websites
- Work with the Experience Design Lead to establish the approach for a project
- Engage in UX research to inform digital experience strategy and interface design
- Create information architectures, wireframes, user flows, prototypes and functional documentation of digital interfaces under the guidance of the Experience Design Lead
- Create interactive prototypes to demonstrate elements of user experience and functionality
- Present research, design documents, and user-centered solutions to internal teams
Areas of influence:
- Collaborate with Owen’s creative and technical teams to develop best practices and processes for UX design
- Advocate for audience needs and integrate user research in the design process
- Add to library of reports, articles and research shared across Owen
Areas of growth:
- Bring an informed point of view and new thinking around UX theories, practices and procedures. Participate in, and ultimately lead, usability tests and user studies
- Educate design and development teams in UX practices and usability as they impact interface and interaction design
- Share new technologies, interaction models and digital experiences with creative and technical teams to help guide what we can create in the future
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and comprehensive leave policies
- 401k Matching
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus Owen holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Parking and cell phone reimbursement
- A positive, balanced work-life
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Just like so many of our Portland neighbors, Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Owen Jones values full transparency in everything we do. While this will not affect our hiring decision, our Portland and Hood River offices are not ADA compliant at this time.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.