We're looking for an experienced Senior Developer that is thorough, thoughtful, and thrives in collaborative teams.
Salary range: $80,000 - $100,000
Owen Jones is hiring a Senior Developer, with at least 4 years of experience. An effective Senior Developer at Owen Jones is thorough, communicates well, and rises to the occasion with tough challenges. Close collaboration with project teams (strategy, UX, design, producers) is a key factor in the success of this role. This person uses sound judgment, and understands when it’s time to ask for help. Successful developers at Owen Jones are invested in supporting their co-workers by coming to projects with an open mind and sharing the load when things get hard.
The majority of the project work we do uses PHP/MySQL-based CMSs (mainly Craft and WordPress), so a good understanding of full stack development with these technologies is necessary.
When applying, we require 2 or more links to work you have done (no Github repos, please), and a description of what your role was on the project.
Areas of Responsibility
- Creation of new client work, including static or CMS-driven websites, and custom web applications
- Maintenance of current sites, judiciously building on existing systems, including new feature development and bug fixes
- Take ownership of whole portions of a project, coordinating this work with the rest of the project team
- Follow Owen Jones development guidelines and best practices, including CSS & JS coding standards, performance benchmarks, build processes, etc.
- Create project documentation, including CMS instructions, READMEs, code comments etc.
- Look at the bigger picture of “What are the root problems we are trying to solve?”, when considering feature requests
- Thorough understanding of front-end development practices, including browser compatibility issues and appropriate coding patterns
- Experience developing for at least one common CMS (ideally WordPress or Craft)
- Understanding of how to use common web technologies such as APIs
- Ability to communicate technical information in an easily understood manner to non-technical people
- Basic familiarity with command line usage
- Basic familiarity with Git for version control
- Bonus points for experience with:
- A front-end framework such as React or Vue
- Server administration using nginx, apache, or Node.js
- Custom CMS plugin development
- Building tooling pipelines using Webpack, Gulp, or Grunt
- Deployment processes and automation
- Serverless scripts and applications
- Shopify development
- General ecommerce development
- Headless CMS development, such as Contentful, Sanity, etc.
Areas of Growth
- Ongoing professional development, including keeping up to date with browser capabilities and innovations in the web development world
- Follow trends in web development and share relevant info with the wider dev team
- Curiosity about new technology in general, and an interest in experimentation
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Quarterly profit-sharing bonus.
- Annual Personal Growth Budget: $300 per year at Owen (maximum of $1,500).
- Leadership/executive coaching support.
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Full benefits include company-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, plus optional group life and disability insurance. FSA plan (for both medical and dependent care), life insurance, and comprehensive leave policies including family care leave, hardship leave, medical leave, and 12 weeks paid leave (plus 8 weeks unpaid) for new parents.
- 401k participation after 90 days with immediate vesting and company match.
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), ten Owen company holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Home office equipment budget.
- Transportation/working from home expenses and cell phone reimbursement.
- Physical offices in both Portland and Hood River. However, Owen embraces a hybrid work model and we want you to work where your work is best done. There are no minimum required days in-office and relocation is not required.
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 05/27/2022