We're looking for a talented writer with a versatile voice and a knack for developing brands.
Salary Range: $75,000 - $88,000
Senior Copywriters at Owen Jones are responsible for leading the creation of effective copy and messaging across our range of clients and project types. They are expected to be well-versed in the many types of messaging and copywriting we do at the agency, and able to move between many projects and assignments while maintaining the high standards we set for our work.
You’ll be expected to lead the development of brand messaging and language as part of branding projects, to advise on messaging and content strategy for high-volume content clients, and to write clear and concise executional copy for projects big and small. We expect you to dig into the details of a project and really learn the subject, and to bring personality and precision (in equal measure) to your writing, no matter the assignment.
You should be a team-focused, skilled, and imaginative thinker with an eye for detail. You’ll be expected to create excellent copy, but also to contribute at every stage of the project cycle and to consistently be looking for growth and learning opportunities for yourself and for the agency. You'll be working alongside very talented and experienced thinkers, and your ability to both contribute ideas as well as execute the ideas of others will be essential to your success.
Areas of Responsibility
- Understand and participate in all aspects of the messaging and copywriting needs of our projects, from initial positioning to executional writing.
- Develop foundational messaging approaches and brand positioning as part of our branding projects.
- Create both conceptual and executional copy that is effective and in-line with client voice and expectations.
- Interpret copywriting briefs to understand project requirements and expectations.
- Collaborate with the creative, accounts, and development teams on both large and small-scale projects.
- Build the confidence and skills to communicate your ideas clearly to internal teams as well as to our clients.
- Work closely with and take direction from project leads (Art Director, CDs, etc.).
- Work with the team to ensure all copy is accurate and complete prior to review.
- Cultivate and maintain a thorough understanding of creative trends and the creative landscape, and bring this awareness to your writing.
- Gain understanding and perspective of the cultural and competitive landscape that your work exists within.
Areas of Influence
- Make recommendations to the Creative Director and other team members on improving processes, approach, and end products.
- Support the writing team in establishing and perfecting the process of copywriting at Owen Jones
Areas of Growth
- The primary area for growth in this role is as a mentor to the creative team. You’re a talented and established writer, it is time to share your knowledge and experience to make us all better.
- Perfect your strategic and conceptual approach to projects. All of your work should be grounded in strategy, and we want you to look beyond individual tasks and consider new and better ways to approach problems.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and comprehensive leave policies
- 401k Matching
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus Owen holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Parking and cell phone reimbursement
- A positive, balanced work-life
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Just like so many of our Portland neighbors, Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Owen Jones values full transparency in everything we do. While this will not affect our hiring decision, our Portland and Hood River offices are not ADA compliant at this time.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 07/16/2021