We're looking for a talented writer with a versatile voice and a knack for developing brands.
Salary Range: $75,000 - $85,000
Senior Copywriters at Owen Jones are responsible for leading the creation of effective copy and messaging across our range of clients and project types. They are expected to be well-versed in the many types of messaging and copywriting we do at the agency, and able to move between many projects and assignments while maintaining the high standards we set for our work.
You’ll be expected to lead the development of brand messaging and language as part of branding projects, to advise on messaging and content strategy for high-volume content clients, and to write clear and concise executional copy for projects big and small. We expect you to dig into the details of a project and really learn the subject, and to bring personality and precision (in equal measure) to your writing, no matter the assignment.
You should be a team-focused, skilled, and imaginative thinker with an eye for detail. You’ll be expected to create excellent work, but also to contribute at every stage of the project cycle and to consistently be looking for growth and learning opportunities for yourself and for the agency. You'll be working alongside very talented and experienced thinkers, and your ability to both contribute ideas as well as execute the ideas of others will be essential to your success.
Areas of Responsibility
Understand and participate in all aspects of the messaging and copywriting needs of our projects, from initial positioning to executional writing.
Develop foundational messaging approaches and brand positioning as part of our branding projects.
Create both conceptual and executional copy that is effective and in-line with client voice and expectations.
Interpret copywriting briefs to understand project requirements.
Collaborate with the creative, accounts, and development teams on both large and small-scale projects.
Work with the team to ensure all copy is accurate and complete prior to review.
Report regularly to Lead Writer and Creative Director on status of projects.
Gain a solid understanding about the client’s business and customers.
Maintain great presentation skills for client-facing projects.
Areas of Influence
Make recommendations to Creative Director and other team members on improving processes, approach, and end products.
Support the Lead Writer in establishing and improving the process of Copywriting at Owen Jones.
Areas of Growth
The primary area for growth in this role is as a mentor to the creative team. You’re a talented and established writer, it is time to share your knowledge and experience to make us all better.
Perfect your strategic and conceptual approach to projects. All of your work should be grounded in strategy, and we want you to look beyond individual tasks and consider new and better ways to approach problems.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Cell phone reimbursement: $60/month.
- Transit/parking reimbursement (still given during COVID-19 working from home): $100/month
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Group health plan - Providence Medical (Owen Jones currently covers 100% of employee premiums & dependents are handled through pre-tax payroll withholding).
- Group dental plan - Kaiser Dental (Owen Jones currently covers 100% of employee premiums & dependents are handled through pre-tax payroll withholding)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) plan for pre-tax deductions for medical and/or childcare expenses
- Comprehensive leave policies including family care leave, hardship leave, medical leave, and 12 weeks paid for new parent leave.
- Owen retirement plan (after 90 days of employment). Employees can contribute any % of pay from 0-96%, up to the annual limits (2020 limit is $19,500 or $26,000 if the employee is over 50 years of age). Matching: Owen Jones matches 100% for the first 3% that an employee contributes, and 50% on the next 2% for a maximum match of 4%
- Annual paid time off is 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus company holidays, plus Owen Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 11/30/2020