Owen Jones is looking for a mid to senior level web developer.
Salary range: $60,000 - $95,000
Owen Jones is looking for a mid to senior level developer. An effective Web Developer at Owen Jones is thorough, highly communicative, and focused on doing their best work. Close collaboration with UX and design teams is a key factor in the success of this role. This person uses sound judgment, and understands when it’s time to ask for help. Successful developers at Owen Jones are invested in supporting their co-workers by coming to projects with an open mind and sharing the load when things get hard.
When applying, please include one or more links to work you have done, and describe what your role was on the project. Personal projects are acceptable.
Areas of Responsibility
- Creation of new client work, including static or CMS-driven websites, and custom web applications
- Maintenance of current sites, judiciously building on existing systems, including new feature development and bug fixes
- Take ownership of whole portions of a project, coordinating this work with the rest of the project team
- Follow Owen Jones development guidelines and best practices, including for CSS & JS coding standards, performance benchmarks, build processes, etc.
- Create project documentation
- Look at the bigger picture of “What are the root problems we are trying to solve?”, when considering feature requests
- Thorough understanding of front-end development practices, including browser compatibility issues and appropriate coding patterns
- Experience developing for at least one common CMS (ideally WordPress or Craft)
- Ability to communicate technical information in an easily understood manner to non-technical people
- Understanding of how to use common web technologies such as APIs
- Basic familiarity with command line usage
- Basic familiarity with Git for version control
- Bonus points for experience with:
- A front-end framework such as React or Vue
- Server administration using nginx, apache, or Node.js
- Custom CMS plugin development
- Building tooling pipelines using Webpack, Gulp, or Grunt
- Deploying processes and automation
- Serverless scripts and applications
- Shopify development
Areas of Growth
- Ongoing professional development, including keeping up to date with browser capabilities and innovations in the web development world
- Follow trends in web development and share relevant info with the wider dev team
- Curiosity about new technology in general, and an interest in experimentation
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and comprehensive leave policies
- 401k Matching
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus Owen holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Parking and cell phone reimbursement
- A positive, balanced work-life
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Just like so many of our Portland neighbors, Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Owen Jones values full transparency in everything we do. While this will not affect our hiring decision, our Portland and Hood River offices are not ADA compliant at this time.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 05/12/2021