Junior Web Developer
Owen Jones is looking for a Junior Web Developer
Salary range: $45,000 - $60,000
Owen Jones is looking for a Junior Developer with 1+ years of experience (internships are okay).
An effective Developer at Owen Jones is curious, thorough, highly communicative, and focused on doing their best work. This person enjoys independent problem solving, but understands when it’s time to ask for help. Our development team members should be invested in supporting their co-workers by coming to projects with an open mind and sharing the load when things get hard.
When applying, please include one or more links to work you have done, and describe what your role was on the project. Personal projects are acceptable.
Areas of Responsibility
- Creation of new client work, including static and CMS-driven websites, under the guidance of senior dev team members.
- Maintenance of current sites, judiciously building on existing systems, including new feature development and bug fixes.
- Follow Owen development guidelines and best practices.
- Reach out for guidance from other team members as necessary.
- Focus on clear and direct communication when writing to clients and Owen team.
- In-depth knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Good understanding of front-end development practices, including browser compatibility issues and appropriate coding patterns
- Experience developing for at least one common CMS (ideally WordPress or Craft)
- Ability to communicate technical information in an easily understood manner to non-technical people
- Basic familiarity with command line usage
- Basic familiarity with Git for version control
- Understanding of how to use common web technologies such as APIs
Areas of Growth
- Gain knowledge of good development thinking and best practices and from Senior and Mid-level Developers.
- Follow trends in web development and share relevant info with the wider development team.
- Hone your decision making skills by learning from experience and growing your practical knowledge.
- Look at the bigger picture of “What are the root problems we are trying to solve?”, when feature requests are made by clients.
- Ongoing professional development, including keeping up to date with browser capabilities and innovations in the web development world.
- Grow your skills as a developer, communicator, and professional at Owen Jones.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and comprehensive leave policies
- 401k Matching
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus Owen holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Parking and cell phone reimbursement
- A positive, balanced work-life
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Just like so many of our Portland neighbors, Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Owen Jones values full transparency in everything we do. While this will not affect our hiring decision, our Portland and Hood River offices are not ADA compliant at this time.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 05/12/2021