Interactive Art Director
Come build beautiful, useful brand experiences online.
As an Interactive Art Director, you'll play a central role throughout our digital work — establishing the design approach, applying it and extending it across a project, and ensuring that our work meets the expectations of our clients and teams.
Lead teams and engage clients across a wide range of digital projects.
Develop and oversee a design process that effectively achieves core project goals.
Design solutions that unlock opportunities for teams and clients.
Articulate your design decisions, gain support from stakeholders, and successfully execute the creative strategy.
Demonstrate empathy when dealing with complex business, user, and team needs.
Last but not least: People who do well at Owen demonstrate respect and empathy for their teammates. We treat others as we would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
What You'll Do
Help drive the digital creative process from start to finish. Contribute conceptual ideas as research. Express strategic ideas through design. Communicate the why behind your work. Make it beautiful, and (most important) make it work for the end user.
Craft and direct a creative vision that is grounded in research and aligned with project goals. Present to clients with support from the team.
Listen carefully. Lead workshops, conduct interviews, and collect feedback throughout the design process. Develop new activities as needed to meet project objectives.
Embrace uncertainty. Approach complex problems with an open mind. Generate and explore multiple solutions, iterate quickly, and collaborate with the team to make informed strategic decisions.
Sweat the details. Approach every aspect of design with deep care and attention, no matter how big or small: strategy, messaging, colors, typography, spacers, presentations — all of it.
Model honest, direct, and detailed communication. Whether with teams, clients, or your own management–build strong relationships and talk through challenges as they arise.
Take ownership of the department's process, practices and rituals (planning, crit, review, etc.) and implement improvements that can benefit team execution and collaboration.
Collaborate across teams to make project plans, define goals and deliverables, interpret client needs, and navigate change. Follow our process, and work to make it better for everyone.
Significant experience leading and contributing to complex digital design initiatives.
A portfolio of work demonstrating beautiful design solutions across a range of digital projects.
Proven ability to bring strategy to life through design, synthesizing research to create impactful design executions across a wide range of audiences and industries.
A systems thinker that is able to identify the big opportunity and break down complexity for our clients and our teams. Clearly articulate the why behind every decision.
Actively seek and encourage feedback on your work and performance. Maintain strong relationships with clients and teams even when your work is challenged.
Develop and maintain strong technical skills and knowledge, including industry standard tools, creative process, and what goes into bringing work to life across various digital applications.
Ability to succeed even in the face of complex, ambiguous projects. Comfortable working iteratively. Can step into this role with minimal training.
The starting base pay for this role is between $85,000 and $98,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Quarterly profit-sharing bonus.
- Annual Personal Growth Budget.
- Leadership/executive coaching support.
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Full benefits include company-paid medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance, plus optional supplemental group life and disability insurance. FSA plan (for both medical and dependent care), life insurance, and comprehensive leave policies including family care leave, hardship leave, medical leave, 2 weeks pre-birth leave for primary caregivers, and 12 weeks paid leave (plus 8 weeks unpaid) for new parents.
- 401k participation after 90 days with immediate vesting and competitive company match.
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), twelve Owen company holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Home office equipment budget.
- Monthly cell phone, transportation, and home utility bill reimbursements.
- A hybrid work model in which you may work where your work is best done. There are no minimum required days in-office and relocation is not required.
- Physical offices in both Portland and Hood River.
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 05/12/2023