Designer - Digital
We're looking for a digital designer to help bring brands to life online.
As a designer on the digital team, you'll be a primary contributor to key digital projects — working collaboratively with project directors, creating and extending unique and ownable digital brand expressions, and sweating the details to make sure our work meets the expectations of our clients and teams.
Contribute to the design direction across a wide range of digital projects.
Collaborate across disciplines to effectively achieve core project goals.
Design solutions that are on-brand, on-brief, and visually distinguished.
Articulate your design decisions, gain support from your teams, and successfully work toward the creative strategy.
Last but not least: People who do well at Owen demonstrate respect and empathy for their teammates. We treat others as we would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
What You'll Do
Contribute to the creative process across the life of a project. Participate in initial idea generation and research. Communicate the strategy through design. Articulate the why behind your work. Make it beautiful, and (most important) make it work for the end user.
Design creative solutions that are grounded in research and aligned with project goals. Present internally to convey your ideas.
Listen carefully. Be open to and receptive of feedback throughout the design process. Embrace challenges, and bring energy and a fresh perspective to all of your work.
Embrace uncertainty. Approach complex problems with an open mind. Generate and explore multiple solutions, iterate quickly, and collaborate with the team to make informed strategic decisions.
Sweat the details. Approach every aspect of design with deep care and attention, no matter how big or small: strategy, messaging, colors, typography, spacers, presentations — all of it.
Honest, direct, and detailed communication. Whether with teams, clients, or your own management–build strong relationships and talk through challenges as they arise.
Actively contribute to the team dynamic. Bring your point of view, your questions, and your interests to light. Help make us better by being yourself.
Collaborate across teams to make sure your work is hitting the mark. Follow our process, and work to make it better for everyone.
Experience contributing to complex digital design initiatives.
A portfolio of work demonstrating beautiful design solutions across a range of digital projects.
Proven ability to design with a specific strategy in mind, synthesizing research to create impactful design executions across a wide range of audiences and industries.
A systems thinker that understands how small decisions impact the big picture. Just as comfortable establishing the overall design direction as you are getting the tiniest of individual components just right.
Actively seek and encourage feedback on your work and performance. Maintain strong relationships with colleagues and teams even when your work is challenged.
Develop and maintain strong technical skills and knowledge, including industry standard tools, creative process, and what goes into bringing work to life across various digital applications. Figma experience strongly preferred.
Ability to succeed even in the face of complex, ambiguous projects. Comfortable working iteratively. Can step into this role with minimal training.
The starting base pay for this role is between $65,000 and $75,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Quarterly profit-sharing bonus.
- Annual Personal Growth Budget.
- Leadership/executive coaching support.
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Full benefits include company-paid medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance, plus optional supplemental group life and disability insurance. FSA plan (for both medical and dependent care), life insurance, and comprehensive leave policies including family care leave, hardship leave, medical leave, 2 weeks pre-birth leave for primary caregivers, and 12 weeks paid leave (plus 8 weeks unpaid) for new parents.
- 401k participation after 90 days with immediate vesting and competitive company match.
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), twelve Owen company holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Home office equipment budget.
- Monthly cell phone, transportation, and home utility bill reimbursements.
- A hybrid work model in which you may work where your work is best done. There are no minimum required days in-office and relocation is not required.
- Physical offices in both Portland and Hood River.
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.