Help guide the work we do for our clients, our growth as a creative team, and our trajectory as an agency.
Salary range: $115K - $125K per year
Creative Directors at Owen Jones are tasked with guiding the work we do for our clients, our growth as a creative team, and our trajectory as an agency. This person reports to the Executive Creative Director (ECD). They are responsible for driving the creative vision for client accounts, projects, and new business within their scope of experience and expertise. They work to strengthen, expand, and improve the creative team through recruitment, mentorship, business development, capabilities development, process improvement and implementation, and creative leadership.
Creative Directors have experience across a range of types of work including brand, identity, digital, print, environmental, and anything else that our clients might throw our way. You understand brand strategy and how it relates to business strategy, know how to blend beautiful creative with useful digital experiences, and have an eye and ear for intelligently and creatively solving clients' business challenges.
Equally important, you are willing and able to lead and manage your team. This position requires constant mentorship and growth within the creative team. You are tasked with identifying, shaping, and growing talented individuals and building upon the world-class team at Owen Jones. We are proud of what we have here. Your job is to make it better.
Above all else, you know how to communicate. Whether it is with a CMO helping them shape their brand campaign strategy, or a junior designer trying to wrap their heads around a new problem to solve. You are kind, compassionate, and clear, while always being a fierce defender of the work.
Areas of Responsibility
- Manage the creative direction and execution of the work at Owen Jones & Partners, making sure it meets the high standards of the ECD, the agency, and our clients.
- Determine the appropriate creative approach for our work, recognizing that each creative challenge is unique.
- Provide oversight and guidance over the work of the creative teams you lead, ensuring that our solutions are compelling, intelligent, and aesthetically excellent.
- Provide clear, effective, and actionable creative feedback.
- Work closely with account and strategy teams to understand our clients’ needs, the needs of their audiences, and be able to translate those needs into clear and actionable creative direction.
- Develop a solid understanding of our client’s businesses, challenges, and goals, and use this to establish the conceptual direction and perspective for our work.
- Participate in new business efforts and help shape the way we present our thinking and approach to prospective clients.
- Manage, mentor and grow the creative team. Work with ACDs and creative leadership to identify a path for creative and professional growth for each team member.
- Represent Owen as a leading voice in the community and within the industry.
- Delegate, strategically, to best achieve the above expectations.
Areas of Influence
- Collaborate with the ECD and the Creative Operations Director to shape the creative vision and strategic direction for the creative team and our clients.
- Collaborate with the Creative Operations Director, the Executive Producer, and the producer team to set and prioritize staffing needs to meet client schedules and deliverables, and to maintain a healthy balance within your team.
- Coordinate with the ECD and the Creative Operations Director to identify staffing and resource needs, and work with them to scale the team alongside the business.
- Look beyond single projects and help make great new ideas happen for our clients.
- Work with ECD and the Creative Operations Director to establish process and structure for your team, including setting policies, approaches, and expectations.
- Help recruit and retain remarkable talent.
Areas of Growth
- Continually expand your people leadership and creative skills.
- Continuous training and development in emotional intelligence, emotional regulation, people leadership, mentorship, and equity and inclusion including power and privilege awareness.
- Always be on the lookout for new ideas and new ways to deliver brand stories, and map those to our clients.
- Develop specific subject matter expertise related to the accounts you work on and the focus of your practice (e.g. Brand Development, etc.).
- Grow client relationships, and establish client partnerships supported by trust and mutual respect.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Quarterly profit-sharing bonus.
- Annual Personal Growth Budget: $300 per year at Owen (maximum of $1,500).
- Leadership/executive coaching support.
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Full benefits include company-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, plus optional group life and disability insurance. FSA plan (for both medical and dependent care), life insurance, and comprehensive leave policies including family care leave, hardship leave, medical leave, and 12 weeks paid leave (plus 8 weeks unpaid) for new parents.
- 401k participation after 90 days with immediate vesting and company match.
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), ten Owen company holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Home office equipment budget.
- Transportation/working from home expenses and cell phone reimbursement.
- Physical offices in both Portland and Hood River. However, Owen embraces a hybrid work model and we want you to work where your work is best done. There are no minimum required days in-office and relocation is not required.
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.