The Creative Director at Owen Jones is responsible for the direction of the creative team and the creative output of the company as a whole.
Salary range: $115K - $125K per year
The Creative Director at Owen Jones is responsible for the direction of the creative team and the creative output of the company as a whole. This is a direct leadership role and will require managing creative people and overseeing a complex team at the core of the agency. You will directly manage a team of 4-6 senior creatives and oversee a full team of 20+ people.
This position requires a clear understanding of foundational and current design approaches, as well as having your pulse on future design trends. This knowledge includes but is not limited to digital, print, environmental, retail, and video work.
This person reports to the CEO/Executive Creative Director and will be a member of the leadership team that discusses, debates and advises the CEO on a broad range of agency topics, opportunities and challenges.
Note that you don't need to possess 100% of the qualities to be considered. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Areas of Responsibility
- Manage the overall creative direction and execution of the work at Owen Jones & Partners, making sure it meets the high standards of the Executive Creative Director, the agency, and those of our clients.
- Identify the conceptual direction for clients and projects and present these clearly and passionately to clients.
- Deliver clear, effective creative feedback to ensure that creative deliverables are mapping to and exceeding our clients’ creative and business goals.
- Lead specific client or project work as needed.
- Mentor and grow the creative team, providing a path for creative and professional growth for each team member, either directly or in conjunction with the ACDs and/or other creative leads (art directors, copy lead, etc.)
- Represent Owen as a leading voice in the community and within the industry.
- Help recruit and retain the best talent across the nation.
- Assign and assemble the right creative team for each client and project (i.e. Resourcing).
- Delegate, strategically, to best achieve the above expectations.
Areas of Influence
- Collaborate with Owen's leadership team to shape the creative vision and strategic direction for the company and its clients.
- Work closely with Account and Strategy teams to understand our clients’ needs, the needs of their customers, and be able to translate those needs into clear and actionable strategies.
- Collaborate with the creative operations director, executive producer, and producer team to set and prioritize resources to meet client schedules and deliverables
- Coordinate with the Managing Director to identify staffing and resource needs, and work with them to scale the team as Owen grows.
- Participate in pitching new client and selling new work to new and existing clients.
- Collaborate with the creative operations director to define process and structure for the entire creative team, including setting policies, approaches, and expectations.
- Know that “great ideas get funded” with our clients and help Owen Jones make great new ideas happen.
Areas of Growth
- Always be hungry for new ideas and new ways to deliver brand stories, and map those to our clients.
- Help the CEO and COO define what an executive creative director means here at Owen Jones and then grow into that role.
- Grow client relationships, make our clients love you, and make them wonder how they ever lived without you or us.
Metrics for Success
- Measurable growth of types of work: new clients, new types of work within existing clients, or both.
- Consistent profitability of 20% across the creative team.
- Helps the team to do work that is award-winning in the major industry shows
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and comprehensive leave policies
- 401k Matching
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus Owen holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Parking and cell phone reimbursement
- A positive, balanced work-life
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Just like so many of our Portland neighbors, Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Owen Jones values full transparency in everything we do. While this will not affect our hiring decision, our Portland and Hood River offices are not ADA compliant at this time.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.
Sound Like You?
Application Deadline: 05/31/2021