Associate Creative Director
We’re looking for an inspiring and collaborative design leader who is passionate about creating innovative and effective digital experiences.
Salary Range: $90,000 - $115,000
The responsibilities of an Associate Creative Director at Owen span the work we do, the clients we work with, and the agency at large. You are tasked with leading your team in the creation of outstanding, innovative, and effective creative work across a range of clients. You thrive on collaboration and experimentation, and know how to generate excitement and develop trust with everyone you work with. You love to discover unique creative solutions as much as you love to mentor and guide your team toward great work and successful careers.
ACD’s are the lead creative role at the account and project level, overseeing all aspects of creative development for the work we do. They can be a thought leader, hands-on creator, enthusiastic manager, and adept client partner all rolled into one. They work in partnership with production, accounts, strategy, and development teams to set the course for projects and clients. In addition to project work, they help to shape the creative team, manage and mentor team members, and play an important role in business development.
We’re looking for our Associate Creative Directors to be decisive and excited to lead a team and to continually improve the work of their teams and the agency at large.
Areas of Responsibility
- Direct and deliver the work at Owen as set by the Executive Creative Director (ECD) and Creative Director (CD), making sure it meets the high standards of the agency.
- Identify the conceptual direction for your work and present this clearly and passionately.
- Lead the creation of compelling, intelligent, and beautiful designs and concepts.
- Challenge the work and the team by bringing fresh perspectives and approaches. Challenge the client with interesting and thoughtful ideas.
- Ensure that your project teams have the direction, guidance, and mentorship they need to be successful.
- Provide clear, effective, and actionable creative feedback.
- Set the creative goals and approach for your projects and teams.
- Work with the team to ensure all work is accurate, complete, thoughtful, and aligns to strategy prior to review.
- Provide management and mentorship to your team, including regular check-ins and annual reviews.
- Manage the time and workloads of your team on a weekly basis.
- Delegate effectively to best achieve the above expectations.
Areas of Influence
- Collaborate with agency leadership to shape the direction of Owen as a creative agency.
- Collaborate across teams to make project plans, define goals and deliverables, interpret client needs, and navigate change.
- Make recommendations to the Creative Director and Creative Operations Director on improving processes, approach, and end products.
- Participate in the budgeting and estimating process for your projects.
- Identify staffing and project needs or opportunities, and communicate them with producers and creative operations on a regular basis.
- Help us recruit and retain the best talent around.
- Contribute to what makes Owen great. Help drive our creative team to new ideas, methods, and tools. Help us see the next thing coming.
Areas of Growth
- Continually work to improve leadership and creative skills.
- Develop specific subject matter expertise in your account’s business category
- Continually developing the skills/understanding of the techniques of creation and the new possibilities they might inspire.
- Work with the sales team to grow existing business and identify new business opportunities.
- Be a representative of Owen in the creative community.
- Develop an understanding of how creative work affects the overall business.
Owen Jones' General Expectations
- Commitment to the best possible work, especially when the well feels dry or it feels like “just another project.”
- Honest, direct, and detailed communication.
- Perpetually evolve your own skills; try new things and work inventively.
- Use your unique experiences and skills to help push Owen Jones' creative executions.
- Get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to solve; dig in deep and research.
- Courage and wisdom to ask for help.
- Be flexible and willing to assist in an array of tasks.
- Attention to detail in everything you touch. The details are the end product.
- Respect for your Owen teammates. Treat others as they would like to be treated. Lend a hand, pick up your slack, and don’t leave anyone behind. Remember that we will spend more waking time together than with almost anyone else, so make that relationship healthy and productive.
- Mentorship, growth, and inspiration
- Resources to develop and expand your professional career
- Monthly Inspiration Day to be used on an inspirational activity of your choosing
- Professional Development Budget: $300 annual budget, per year with Owen (maximum of $1,500)
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and comprehensive leave policies
- 401k Matching
- Annual paid time off, 15 days annually (prorated based on start date), plus Owen holidays, plus Owen Holiday/Winter Break (December 24 – January 1)
- Parking and cell phone reimbursement
- A positive, balanced work-life
Welcome to All
Minds and hearts are what matter. Our unique experiences are what make us stronger. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Just like so many of our Portland neighbors, Owen Jones welcomes everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, political affiliation, country of origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, military affiliation, or ability.
Owen Jones values full transparency in everything we do. While this will not affect our hiring decision, our Portland and Hood River offices are not ADA compliant at this time.
This position is full-time, with a 90 day probationary period to make sure it is a good fit for you and for us.